Parking Ticket Court Options

Parking Ticket Court Option

If you are the registered owner of the vehicle, or a person named in an affidavit by the owner as having care, custody and control of the vehicle at the time of the violation, you may raise your defense before the court at a hearing on the violation.

Your request for a court hearing must be made within 30 days of the ticket issue date. You may complete a request form through the Clerk's office in the Traffic Department. You may also print the request form and mail or fax the completed form to the Traffic Department.

Note: Be prepared to introduce evidence at the time of the hearing. Valid defenses may include:

  • Prove the offense was not committed
  • The vehicle was taken without my consent (stolen vehicle - submit theft and recovery reports)
  • I was not the owner of the vehicle or the person having the care, custody or control of the vehicle at the time of the offense.

These excuses are not considered a valid defense:

  • Lack of knowledge of parking laws and regulations
  • Disagreement with the laws and regulations
  • Other vehicles also parked improperly or unlawfully
  • Late to an appointment
  • Disagreement with or inability to pay the fine
  • Parked illegally for only a few minutes, or only briefly, etc.

It is important to know that when you elect to appear for a hearing:

  • You will have waived your right to pay the civil penalty.
  • The court may assess additional fines, plus court costs. (A disabled parking violation can be an average of $300.00)
  • Violators who fail to appear for court can be found guilty in their absence.


Affidavit of Defense

Parking Citation Court Request