- 12 points accumulated within 12 months - 30 day suspension
- 18 points accumulated within 18 months - 3 Month suspension
- 24 points accumulated within 36 months (3 years) - 1 Year suspension
A Florida Licensed Driver, under Florida Statute 318.14(9), may only elect traffic school on a citation once in twelve months and five times in a lifetime. If you are licensed in another state you must check with your local DMV if the election and completion of a Traffic School in Florida will keep the points off your record.
To check eligibility you may visit the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles website. https://services.flhsmv.gov/DLCheck/
You have three options available for Moving Violations, Option Form:
Most Non-Moving violations are payable with no additional process, and you have the option to elect a court hearing on these violations. If your citation was for Failure to Carry Proof of Insurance, Drivers License or Registration; you must provide proof to our office of the item when paying the citation.
Please read over the Failure to Carry options for additional details before submitting proof and payment. If your citation was for Expired Driver’s License or Expired Registration; you must provide proof to our office the item has been renewed or give reason proof cannot be provided.
Please read over the Expired License or Registration options for additional details.
Citations – 10 years
Citations (adjudication withheld by Clerk of Court) – indefinite
Citations (adjudication withheld by Judge) – indefinite
Suspensions and Revocations – 7 to 11 years
All moving violations carry points. Paying the citation is an admission of guilt and will result in the points being assessed on the driver’s license.
- Moving violations - 3 Points
- Speeding 15 mph or less over posted speed - 3 Points
- Speeding 16 mph or more over posted speed - 4 Points
- Passing stopped school bus - 4 Points
- Moving violation (non speeding) resulting in a crash - 4 Points
- Unlawful speed resulting in a crash - 6 Points
- Reckless Driving (Criminal Traffic Infraction) - 4 Points
- Leaving scene of a crash with damage (>$50) - 6 Points
- Littering - 3 Points
- Violation of child restraint laws - 3 Points
- Red Light Violation - 4 Points
- Open Container Driver cited – 3 Points
Please review the citation image example. A few items have been noted in boxes to show the locations of important information.
Mail payments to:
St Johns Co Clerk of Court - Attention: Traffic
4010 Lewis Speedway
St Augustine, FL 32084
Payment may be made online through http://www.stjohncopmts.com/ :
- Payment may be made online for traffic tickets; the school election will only be available if paid within the first 30 days.
- Citations with mandatory court required or failure to carry/expired proof of insurance, registration or drivers license will not be available through this website.
- If your ticket exceeds the 30 day due date, you may still be able to pay your citation online. The clearance of your suspension will be noted with the Department of Motor Vehicles electronically if you have a Florida license; if you are licensed out of state your clearance form will be mailed to you.
- You can pay online by entering your Citation or Case Number. There is also an option to find your Citation or Case number by running a name search.
Yes, payment can be made by personal check. The name and address must be pre-printed on the check, starter checks are not accepted. When paying by personal check in our office, a valid driver’s license or ID is required.
Out of Country personal checks are not accepted. You must remit a Money Order or Cashier’s Check with the amount specified as US funds.
Payment can be made by phone through a third party (nCourt) by calling 1-855-796-5764. If your citation requires proof of compliance; such as renewed or valid license, registration or insurance you will not be able to pay by phone or online. You may complete the Credit Card Form and submit the form to our office by fax along with the copy of your renewed or valid license, registration or insurance to pay the citation. There will be a convenience fee charged to your card in addition to the fine amount, please ask the operator to specify the fee being charged.